Slow cooked beef
3 tablespoons plain flour
1kg beef chuck steak, cut into 3cm cubes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
200g swiss brown or button mushrooms, sliced
750mls beef stock
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
3 bay leaves
¼ cup caramelised onion jam
100g gruyere cheese, grated
8-10 sheets Timo’s filo pastry
20g butter, melted
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Heat the oven to 160ºC regular bake
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt and cracked pepper. Toss the beef through the flour to completely coat.
- In a large heavy based dish, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the beef in batches and brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and diced onion to the dish and fry for a few minutes until softened. Add the herbs, carrots and mushrooms and fry briefly before adding the beef stock, sauces and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, cover and place in the oven for 2-3 hours or until the beef is tender. Alternatively, transfer to a slow cooker and cook for 6 hours or until tender.
- Heat the oven to 180ºC regular bake.
- If you are using a slow cooker, transfer the pie filling to an oven proof dish.
- Add the caramelised onion jam to the pie filling and stir through, then top with grated cheese. Lay the filo out onto a clean bench top. Brush each sheet with melted butter, scrunch up and place on top of the cheese. Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Bake the pie for 18-25 minutes or until golden brown.