200g goats cheese feta
125g cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons za’atar, plus extra for on top
1 lemon, zest only
1 small garlic clove, minced
2 thyme sprigs, leaves only
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
18 sheets Timos filo pastry (1 packet)
75g butter, melted
3 tablespoons runny honey
- Heat the oven to 180ºC regular bake. Line 1-2 oven trays with baking paper.
- In a food processor, blitz together the goats cheese and cream cheese until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and mix through the za’atar, lemon zest, garlic, herbs and cracked pepper.
- Place the filo sheets on a clean workbench and cover with a tea towel.
- Take a sheet of filo and brush with melted butter. If you’re going to make the larger cigars, place a second sheet of filo on top and brush again with butter. Fold the sheet of filo in half like a book and brush with more butter.
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture and place it in the middle of the short end of the pastry, leaving a 2cm border around the sides and base edge. Fold in the sides and brush with the melted butter. Roll up into a cigar shape and place seam side down on the oven tray. Repeat with remaining mixture and filo sheets.
- Brush the cigars with butter and top with a little extra za’atar. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: You can make smaller cigars by only using one sheet of filo per cigar and a smaller amount of the filling in each.
- Drizzle with honey just before serving.